Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Totes>Isotoner Sets High Standards for Customer Service

It is not often these days that one is totally shocked by a display of high customer service. I purchased a Totes (they use totes, lower case) umbrella last spring. It is guaranteed for life. At some point recently, one of the spokes of the umbrella broke. I followed the instructions I found on line to not take it back to a store, but rather to send it back to the company with $5.00 for return postage. A new or repaired item would then be sent.

Much to my amazement, I received a letter yesterday from one Helen Baur, Consumer Affairs, totes>isotoner. The letter indicated that "under your circumstances, we would certainly not expect you to pay this fee, having had the umbrella for such a short period of time". My $5.00 was enclosed.

Now, I should note that I did not have a receipt for the original purchase, so Totes was simply assuming from the model of my umbrella that I had purchased it recently.

I teach in a business school and we are always talking about customer service, or lack of it, and the return on investment that it brings or looses. totes>isotoner has gone beyond what I would have expected. I am absolutely impressed with their high consumer standards. They deserve my praise and my customer loyalty. I thought I would pass this on to others in hopes that my story will both inspire other companies to adopt similar standards, and for others in the market for umbrellas, gloves and other items by totes>isotoner, to consider totes>isotoner.

No comments: